Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Well ... i have done a foot race

Well ... i have done a foot race ... my little cryptic race report


My #1 goal was to finish half the race, 50 miles, in under 11 hours..
Other than that i knew there were so many things that can go wrong.

Anyway I started not too fast like I would do the whole 100 miles.
And then, around mile 40 I realized there was no 50 mile aid station, but 52 mi CP and I would have missed my time for the first 50miles by 20 minutes, which i did.

I could not believe I was so slow. Actually the main reason for me missing the 11hours was the "purple loop", scrambling thru some ravines.

After that I said the hell with it and I start running faster and I was on the roll for under 24 hours.

But similar to Vermont 100 in 2007, around mile 75 my back started to hurt, my ankles were painful, I think i broke or sprained my right big toe, all of a sudden I got probably ten blisters ( which i almost never get), rashes ( you don't want to know where :-).

Running got hard and painful and I realized i would miss the 24hr cutoff (especially since running during the night is slower).

I decided to walk the last 25 miles and I guess I did about 3 miles an hour.

I finished in 28hours but I swear the last 10 miles I quit 5 times.


After the race my leg muscles were ONLY a bit sore.
I can't explain how people that have legs as thick as my arm did finish the race, some being faster than me.


The last 10 hours of the race ( i probably walked the last 8 hours) made me think if I should ever run again in my life. What's the point. In adventure racing i have been on my feet and doing stuff for 4 days or longer but I never felt so bad and got so trashed.

No comments: